Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My dad's recipe. Great with
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 2 lbs onions, medium (diced)
- 4 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic (chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can consomme, plus enough water to make 1 qt. (or 1 qt. beef broth)
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 5 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Sauté the onions in the oil, browning lightly.
- Add the paprika, garlic, caraway seeds, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Add the consomme and tomato paste and water (or beef broth).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the meat and continue simmering until the meat is very tender,.
- approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Adjust the seasonings and serve.
- Serve with homemade spaetzle. - recipe posted separately.