Recipe by CunSwim
This is a famous cake served in the Gerboud Bakery/Cafe which boasts itself as being the first Cafe to open in 1861 on Vorosmarty in the heart of Budapest, that could surpass the spledor and pomp of Parisian cafes.
- 500 g flour
- 250 g butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 g cake yeast, dissolved in
- warmed milk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cold milk
- 1 (8 ounce) jar apricot preserves or 1 (8 ounce) jar raspberry preserves
- 200 g ground walnuts
- 150 g sugar
- 200 g semisweet chocolate morsels or 200 g baking chocolate
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first 8 ingrediets for dough, divide into 3 balls and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Roll out dough into 42 by 62 cm rectangles.
- Butter and flour pan add 1st layer of dough prick with fork or toothpick and top with jam and then nuts that have been mixed with sugar. Top with 2nd layer of dough prick with fork or toothpick and top with remaining jam and nuts. Top with 3rd layer and press down edges prick with fork or toothpick and bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Melt chocolate and mix with oil and spread onto of cake the oil will make the chocolate have a glassy elegant look cut into rectangles and arrange on a serving platter to serve.
- This cake freezes extremely well.