Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
(Taken from another site) as ours is similar, but this was adapted to be gluten free. Absolutely Delicious!
- 340 g hazelnuts
- 9 g baking powder
- 6 egg yolks
- 125 g white sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 475 ml heavy whipping cream
- 15 g chopped hazelnuts, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C). Grease and flour a 9 inch springform pan. Grind hazelnuts until very fine. Add baking powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip the egg yolks with the sugar until pale yellow in color. Beat in the ground hazelnut mixture.
- In a separate CLEAN bowl, with a CLEAN whisk, whip the egg whites until stiff. Quickly fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the yolk mixture, then add the remaining whites and fold in until no streaks remain.
- Pour into a 9 inch springform. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 75 minutes, or until top of cake springs back when lightly tapped. Cool on wire rack.
- When cake is cool, slice horizontally into 3 layers. Whip the cream until stiff, and spread generously between layers, on top and on the sides of the cake. Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts on top for decoration.
this is really great. I have also used Almond flour but the cake is more dense. I will try 1 more egg yolk and white and see if it lightens the Almond version.