Recipe by Springbok
This is one of a number of Kramer family Hungarian recipes that Magda had when she was growing up and which the Mutch family has since adopted. Not wanting to exactly duplicate Magda's version, this is my version. It must be good since Magda asked for seconds.
Top Review by Aarti D.
This dish was amazing! I would've given it 5 stars, but the sour cream mixture, according to the recipe, was too little and would have been better if the recipe recommended to mix the sour cream and onion mixture with the potatoes and the eggs instead of just layering it.
I would make this again
- 6 potatoes
- 8 eggs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add unpeeled potatoes and cook until tender but still firm - about 15 minutes. Drain, cool, peel and cut in 1/4 inch slices.
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let stand in hot water for about 15 minutes. Remove from water, cool, peel and slice.
- In another saucepan sauté onion in oil until translucent and add margarine, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- In a casserole dish layer potatoes and eggs, pouring a small amount of the sauce on each layer. Ensure that the first and last layers are potatoes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the casserole followed by breadcrumbs and paprika.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.