1/2 Photos of Hungarian Egg and Potato Casserole
1 hr 15 mins
This is one of a number of Kramer family Hungarian recipes that Magda had when she was growing up and which the Mutch family has since adopted. Not wanting to exactly duplicate Magda's version, this is my version. It must be good since Magda asked for seconds.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 2Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add unpeeled potatoes and cook until tender but still firm - about 15 minutes. Drain, cool, peel and cut in 1/4 inch slices.
- 3Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let stand in hot water for about 15 minutes. Remove from water, cool, peel and slice.
- 4In another saucepan sauté onion in oil until translucent and add margarine, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- 5In a casserole dish layer potatoes and eggs, pouring a small amount of the sauce on each layer. Ensure that the first and last layers are potatoes.
- 6Sprinkle cheese on top of the casserole followed by breadcrumbs and paprika.
- 7Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Egg and Potato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 443.9
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 287.7 mg
- Sodium 398.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 19.4 g