Wonderful crispy and light as a feather fried cookies. Always made for Hungarian weddings. These pastries would also be served with coffee after Sunday dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- oil (lard tastes the best, but it's not the healthiest and oil and shortening taste fine) or lard (lard tastes the best, but it's not the healthiest and oil and shortening taste fine) or shortening, for deep frying (lard tastes the best, but it's not the healthiest and oil and shortening taste fine)
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup thick sour cream
- 2 1/2 teaspoons whiskey or 2 1/2 teaspoons dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 -3 tablespoons powdered sugar or 2 -3 tablespoons vanilla powdered sugar, to dust cookies
- 1About 20 minutes before frying fill a deep saucepan halfway to 2/3 full of oil, lard, or shortening, and heat slowly to 365°F or follow the manufacturer's directions for set-up if using an automatic deep-fryer.
- 2Sift together flour, sugar, and salt into a bowl.
- 3Mix together the egg yolks, sour cream, whiskey, and vanilla, then make a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour the wet mixture inches.
- 4Mix the ingredients until all of the flour is moistened.
- 5Let dough rest 1-2 minutes.
- 6Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by folding opposite side over towards you, then using the heels of your hands to push the dough away, then give it a quarter turn and repeat process just until ingredients are well blended (always turn the dough in the same direction and use as little additional flour as possible).
- 7Shape dough into a smooth ball and roll out on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle 1/8-inch thick (if you don't have enough space to do this, divide dough in half first, then roll out the halves seperately).
- 8Use a spatula to loosen the dough, lift it slightly and sprinkle a little flour underneath anywhere the dough sticks.
- 9With a floured knife cut the dough into diamond shapes about 2-inches wide at the center and 6-inches long (you can make a cardboard pattern beforehand and use that as a guide if you wish).
- 10Make a 1-inch slit lengthwise at the center of each cookie, and pull one end through the opening, twisting slightly as you do.
- 11Deep fry only one layer of cookies at a time (don't crowd the pan).
- 12With a fork, turn the cookies several times as they fry and as they rise to the surface, but be careful not to pierce the cookie.
- 13Fry until lightly browned (about 3 minutes).
- 14Drain cookies over fat for a few seconds and then drain on paper towels.
- 15Sprinkle cookies with powdered sugar while still hot.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Deep-Fried Angel Wing Cookies (Csoroge)
Serving Size: 1 (457 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 48.3
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 20.5 mg
- Sodium 41.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 1.2 g