Prep 35 mins
Cook 5 mins
Many hungarian families have cucumber salad to complement any of the spicey dishes popular in the cuisine. I was taught to make this as a very young girl. I am often asked to bring this dish along.
- 3 cucumbers, peeled and sliced paper thin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced paper thin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Place thinly sliced cucumbers in deep glass bowl.
- Sprinkle salt on top then work through cucumbers.
- Cover bowl with plate and let sit for at least 1/2 hr.
- Uncover bowl and squeeze as much water as possible from cucumbers using your hands.
- Add thinly sliced onions, pepper, dill weed.
- mix well.
- Add sour cream mixing well.
- The dressing should appear to be slightly foaming.
- Recover and place in refrigerator until chilled.
I had two cucumbers I'd been ignoring in the fridge, and I happened to have sour cream on hand, to. This recipe caught my eye in the "3 recipes you'd like to have reviewed" thread, so I decided to give it a try. It was absolutely delicious. Very simple and refreshing. I'd imagine it would be wonderful in the summer with fresh-picked cucumbers. But as it's mid-January and in the 70's here, I was looking for something light. This was perfect. Thanks, BoxO'Wine...Great recipe! Also,anyone who lives near "The Boss" is okay in my book! lol :)
This was a wonderful refreshing salad and will certainly be making it again. I did not put as much dill weed in but that was a personal preferance.
my czech mil makes this same way they are great