Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a hungarian dish from epicurious .com. Posted for ZWT4
- 2 cucumbers, medium
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml white vinegar
- 0.25 ml garlic powder
- 118.29 ml water
- sweet paprika
- black pepper
- Peel the cucumbers and slice them very thin.
- Sprinkle the cucumbers with salt and let stand for 30-60 minutes with a plate and a 5 lb weight on top.
- Squeeze out the water on a paper towel.
- Combine the sugar, vinegar, garlic powder, and water.
- Add the cucumbers and marinate for a few hours.
- To serve, sprinkle paprika on half of the salad and black pepper on the other half.
This was a great way to serve cucumber.
I id not let it marinade as long as required, as I had time constrants, I also drained off the vinegar mix as I needed to serve on a platter with salad, but it worked really well.
I had no paprika (which I thought I had on hand) so I just sprinkled with chopped chives and pepper.
The vinegar marinade gave such a wonderful sweet & sour taste to the cucumber. We liked this recipe very much here.
Thanks Lavender Lynn.
This turned out delicious! I used 1 big Japanese cucumber and added a sweet onion. I also added more garlic powder than called for. Very tasty!!