An authentic Hungarian recipe sent in to the Houston Chronicle by Mrs. Van Geffen. Posted for the Zaar World Tour. Prep time does not include standing time (1 hour).
- 6 medium cucumbers, peeled
- 2 tablespoons salt (or more)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (or less, to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar, plus
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Cut cucumber halves crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide half rounds.
- Put cucumbers in a colander and sprinkle with salt.
- Toss with your hands to mix well.
- Let stand about 1 hour.
- Rinse cucumbers if desired.
- Gently squeeze water out of cucumbers and drain on paper towels.
- When well drained, return to colander.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, vinegar, mustard and oil.
- Add cucumbers and mix with hands.
- Mix in onion and garlic, if using.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Add fresh dill and paprika.
- Mix well.
- Serves 6.
- Can be stored in refrigerator up to 1 week.