1/1 Photo of Hungarian Cucumber Salad
An authentic Hungarian recipe sent in to the Houston Chronicle by Mrs. Van Geffen. Posted for the Zaar World Tour. Prep time does not include standing time (1 hour).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 medium cucumbers, peeled
- 2 tablespoons salt (or more)
- 1/2 cup sugar (or less, to taste)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, plus
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- 2Cut cucumber halves crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide half rounds.
- 3Put cucumbers in a colander and sprinkle with salt.
- 4Toss with your hands to mix well.
- 5Let stand about 1 hour.
- 6Rinse cucumbers if desired.
- 7Gently squeeze water out of cucumbers and drain on paper towels.
- 8When well drained, return to colander.
- 9In a large bowl, whisk sugar, vinegar, mustard and oil.
- 10Add cucumbers and mix with hands.
- 11Mix in onion and garlic, if using.
- 12Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- 13Add fresh dill and paprika.
- 14Mix well.
- 15Serves 6.
- 16Can be stored in refrigerator up to 1 week.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Cucumber Salad
Serving Size: 1 (381 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.2
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2360.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 22.8 g
- Protein 2.3 g