Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Secrets to Hungarian Cooking. I've never made this. I'm just guessing the times. I wrote instuctions like they were given.
- 4 cups unsifted flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 lb margarine
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄2 cup jam
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Cut in margarine as for pie crust.
- Add eggs, vanilla and milk, just enough to hold dough together. Do not work this dough, just blend ingredients.
- Roll out and cut into squares 3x3 inch, not too thin.
- Fill with any desired filling.
- Brush top with beaten egg.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown.
I made these for an ethnic food day thing at school. I had to have them made the night before and my non-hungarian side (dad) wouldn't keep his nose away while they were in the house. To shut him up I had to hand over a few. The class loved them, teacher, and not a crumb remained. I thought they were a great quick idea and are even requested today. I plan to make them again and again in the future.