Recipe by Elmotoo
I found reference to this recipe at a Budapest Tourist Guide. There it was called 'Mashed potatoes with mustard seeds and deep fried onion'. I couldn't find a recipe but I did sort of find the components at various websites then I combined them & reworked it a bit. The onions need to be very soft & caramelized. This looks like a bowl of sweet potatoes with all that paprika! I would love some feedback!
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large onions (coarsely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 10 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil peeled and quartered potatoes in salted water till tender.
- While potatoes are cooking --.
- Heat skillet. Add mustard seeds. Cover & shake until the popping slows. Add the butter & when melted, add the onions. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Uncover, continue cooking over low heat for until very soft, dark & caramelized. Add the paprika. Stir over lowest heat for a minute or two until the paprika has lost its raw taste. Set aside.
- Back to the potatoes --.
- Strain off cooking water & mash. Add 1/2c of the sour cream and blend into potatoes. Add the egg into the potatoes and whip. Add the stick of butter & the remaining sour cream to taste. Stir in the onion mixture. Add salt to taste.