1/1 Photo of Hungarian Christmas Mashed Potatoes
I found reference to this recipe at a Budapest Tourist Guide. There it was called 'Mashed potatoes with mustard seeds and deep fried onion'. I couldn't find a recipe but I did sort of find the components at various websites then I combined them & reworked it a bit. The onions need to be very soft & caramelized. This looks like a bowl of sweet potatoes with all that paprika! I would love some feedback!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil peeled and quartered potatoes in salted water till tender.
- 2While potatoes are cooking --.
- 3Heat skillet. Add mustard seeds. Cover & shake until the popping slows. Add the butter & when melted, add the onions. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Uncover, continue cooking over low heat for until very soft, dark & caramelized. Add the paprika. Stir over lowest heat for a minute or two until the paprika has lost its raw taste. Set aside.
- 4Back to the potatoes --.
- 5Strain off cooking water & mash. Add 1/2c of the sour cream and blend into potatoes. Add the egg into the potatoes and whip. Add the stick of butter & the remaining sour cream to taste. Stir in the onion mixture. Add salt to taste.
Browse Our Top Mashed Potatoes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mashed Potatoes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Christmas Mashed Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 414.0
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 172.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 7.8 g