Recipe by Saturn
These are fantastic. Despite the lengthy directions and ingredients list, they are relatively easy to make. Time does not reflect chilling.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
A very rich, very good dessert that is perfect for a celebration. This is very much the typica; chocolate 'tourta' one can buy here in Greece at every bakery. I made just a few changes by omitting the rum and using a tsp of vanilla and a dash of salt in the genoise (cake). Also, I had whipped the filling (ganache), I realized that stacking one layer on top of the other would be too much of a good thing for us so I kept the cake in its baking pan and spread the ganache on top. Instead of doing the chocolate glaze on top, I whipped some cream up and topped it with that. The cake was basically a 1/2 inch of genoise, a 1/2 inch of ganache and a 1/2 inch of whipped cream and had a nice tri-colour effect (white-milk chocoloate-dark chocolate). Cut into VERY small pieces - I got 24 out of mine, as this is very rich and a little goes a long way. Very good recipe and very easy to follow.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup sweet butter, room temp
- 9 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee, powdered
- 1⁄8 cup rum (optional)
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Karo syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- TO MAKE CAKE: Preheat oven to 350°F; grease a 9 x 13-inch pan. Line pan with wax paper and grease the wax paper.
- Beat the egg whites lightly, add cream of tartar and beat at a high speed.
- When shiny, gradually add 1/3 cup of sugar, continuing to beat until stiff.
- In a separate mixing bowl, place the egg yolks, remaining sugar and butter and beat until light and fluffy. Add the cocoa and mix thoroughly. Add a large dollop of egg whites to chocolate mixture and whip until blended.
- Then pour the rest of the egg whites over the chocolate mixture and sprinkle the flour over the egg whites. Fold gently with a spatula until the egg whites and flour are incorporated.
- Immediately spread the batter in the prepared pan. Smooth out to edges and corners. Bake 10-15 minutes at 350°F until cake is done. Run a knife around edges and invert cake on a wire rack to cool.
- TO MAKE FILLING: in a saucepan, combine cream, chocolate chips and instant coffee.
- Cook over low heat until mixture is smooth and slightly thickened.
- Cover saucepan and refrigerate until very cold.
- When chilled, add rum (if using) and whip in a chilled bowl at medium speed until firm. Be careful not to over beat or the filling may separate.
- TO MAKE GLAZE (do NOT make this until ALL OTHER steps are completed): in a small saucepan, melt all ingredients over a low flame. Mix until very smooth.
- Cool for 15 minutes and mix again. Use immediately, as the sauce thickens as it cools.
- TO ASSEMBLE: cut cake horizontally into halves. Lightly sprinkle bottom half with rum. Spread filling over bottom layer.
- Place top layer on bottom half and spread filling over top.
- Refrigerate or freeze until very firm.
- When very cold, set the cake on a wire rack. Pour the warm glaze over the cake. Refrigerate again until firm. Cut with a sharp knife, wiping the blade after each cut.
- You can freeze cut squares.