The perfect Hungarian comfort food. Serve over my posted nokedli recipe. This recipe has been passed down in my family for generations. I use Better Than Bouillon chicken base to make the broth.
- Combine flour, 2 tbsp paprika, salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- Reserve left over flour.
- Add oil to large dutch oven.
- Heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add chicken and brown on both sides, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot.
- Add little oil to pot (if bottom appears to be too dry).
- Add onion, red pepper, 1 tbsp paprika, and salt.
- Saute until onion is tender, about 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to pot, and add enough chicken broth to cover.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 30 to 45 minutes, until chicken is done.
- Remove from heat and let paprikash cool down.
- Combine reserved flour and 1/2 cup sour cream.
- Add small amount of liquid from pot into flour mixture and stir with whisk until smooth.
- Add mixture to pot, stirring constantly.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Let cool down again and add remaining sour cream, stirring constantly.
- Sauce should be a very pale orange color (almost white).
- Cook about 1 minute until heated.
- Serve over homemade Hungarian nokedli (spaetzel), wide egg noodles, or cooked cavatelli.