1/5 Photos of Hungarian Chicken Paprikash
1 hr 5 mins
The perfect Hungarian comfort food. Serve over my posted nokedli recipe. This recipe has been passed down in my family for generations. I use Better Than Bouillon chicken base to make the broth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine flour, 2 tbsp paprika, salt and pepper.
- 2Dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- 3Reserve left over flour.
- 4Add oil to large dutch oven.
- 5Heat oil over medium high heat.
- 6Add chicken and brown on both sides, about 10 minutes.
- 7Remove chicken from pot.
- 8Add little oil to pot (if bottom appears to be too dry).
- 9Add onion, red pepper, 1 tbsp paprika, and salt.
- 10Saute until onion is tender, about 2 minutes.
- 11Return chicken to pot, and add enough chicken broth to cover.
- 12Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 30 to 45 minutes, until chicken is done.
- 13Remove from heat and let paprikash cool down.
- 14Combine reserved flour and 1/2 cup sour cream.
- 15Add small amount of liquid from pot into flour mixture and stir with whisk until smooth.
- 16Add mixture to pot, stirring constantly.
- 17Simmer 5 minutes.
- 18Let cool down again and add remaining sour cream, stirring constantly.
- 19Sauce should be a very pale orange color (almost white).
- 20Cook about 1 minute until heated.
- 21Serve over homemade Hungarian nokedli (spaetzel), wide egg noodles, or cooked cavatelli.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Chicken Paprikash
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.1
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 29.9 mg
- Sodium 424.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 6.4 g