Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I like this recipe because its FAST (20 minute cooking time) filling and has a great taste.
- 4 chicken thighs, with skin (or equal amount of chicken pieces)
- 1 big white onion, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons oil (originally cooked with lard)
- 1 -2 slice green peppers or 1 -2 slice red pepper
- 2 -3 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika
- Saute chopped up onion in the oil. Pull it off from the heat.
- Add the paprika (both kind) to the sautéed onion. (If you leave it on the heat while you do this, the paprika will burn) Mix it until the paprika dissolved.
- Add chicken. Mix it together with the onion-paprika paste, until all the pieces are covered with the paste. Turn your heat up high, brown the meat, while you constantly mixing it. While you doing it, be careful not to burn the paprika paste!
- When all pieces look white all around, turn down the heat to low, add salt, cover and cook. During your low heat cooking the juices of the chicken will come out, so your dish will cook in its own juices. If you pick dry meat (breast) you have to add some liquid(chicken broth).
- After 10 minutes add pepper piece to the food. Cook for another 10-15 minutes. Check for tenderness.
- Before serving, remove skin. Serve with pasta, or baked potato. Top the dish with a tablespoon of sour cream.
- Hungarians serve it with some pickled items on the side, such as cucumber, or pickled pepper.
The taste was great, but it was a little too oily for me. Thanks for posting it, however.
DELICIOUS, Tasty, Easy to make recipe was surprised that it wasn't to spicy. DH & I really enjoyed the chicken. First time we had Hungarian food. I made it using boneless, skinless chicken thighs, they worked very well. Also used yellow bell pepper as that is what I had on hand. Served this with a side salad of baby greens, cucumbers & avocado and a zucchini casserole. Directions for the recipe was very easy to follow. ThanK you for posting the recipe I will be making it again & again.