Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A favorite summer dessert (when cherries are in season). Popular at picnics, BBQ's and when the "girls get together for coffee".
- 1⁄4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup softened sweet butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 lb pitted cherries
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 -4 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 10x4-inch tube pan and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- In a medium size bowl, beat butter and 1/2 cup sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add egg yolks and beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in flour and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- On high speed, beat 1/4 cup sugar into whites, 2 tablespoons at a time, until they are stiff and glossy.
- Gently fold beaten whites into batter.
- Spread batter evenly in pan, top with cherries.
- Bake at 350°F for about 35-40 minutes.
- or until cake is set and toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, loosen sides and remove from pan.
- Cool completely on rack, drizzle cooled cake with almond glaze.
- ---Almond Glaze---.
- Mix powdered sugar, almond extract and water (1 teaspoon at a time) until smooth and the consistency of a thin syrup.
Absolutely delicious! The almond glaze nicely compliments the sweet cherries. I will definitely make another one of these cakes.