Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A creamy, tangy, sustaining cream of cauliflower soup, adapted from Wm-Sonoma Kitchen Library
- 8 cups milk
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 carrot, finely chopped
- 6 -8 ounces cooked ham, cut into small dice
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- paprika or smoked paprika
- Bring milk to a boil, add the onion, carrots and ham. Cover partially and simmer gently over medium heat for 10 minutes (taking care that it doesn't boil over).
- In the meantime, remove flowerets from the cauliflower head and chop very coarsely. You want the pieces fairly large. Add them to the soup and simmer 15 minutes more.
- In a bowl, stir a little of the hot soup with the sour cream until smooth. Add back to the soup and stir until smooth. Add salt and white pepper to taste. Simmer briefly, stir gently but well.
- Serve, sprinkling each bowl with paprika to taste (I like lots).
Nice soup... very unique flavor. The simple preparation was a definite plus too! I omitted the salt and used skim milk and fat free sour cream. Thanks for sharing!
KEEPER - Keeper - keeper! What a wonderful soup! This is the first cauliflower soup I have made without using soup base or butter - and didn't miss either! Great flavor and looks so appealing in the bowl. Didn't use the ham this time around but will assure having some on hand when I next make this absolutely delicious soup. While I enjoy the full milk and cream I did make our mid week supper soup using 2% milk and low fat cream - with excellent results. The paprika and white pepper the perfect combination in seasoning this soup. Thank you for sharing. Recipenap for AUS Swap #25.
Great soup! I loved the softened bits of cauliflower and carrots...so tasty. The ham added a nice flavor. I had considered skipping the ham but I'm glad that I didn't. I used skim milk and low-fat sour cream, which seemed to work just fine! I really enjoyed this soup for lunch and can't wait to have the leftovers today. Thank you!