Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Handed down from my husband's grandmother who came from Hungary on her honeymoon through Ellis Island. I am sure it was changed slightly to American-type ingredients.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 cup lean ham (chopped, we use 2 small pkgs thin sliced)
- 1 cup rice (not quick)
- 1 egg
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Crisco
- Boil cabbage and separate leaves when soft to roll. Save water.
- Combine hamburger, ham, egg, rice, salt and pepper in large bowl.
- Form rolls using meat mixture and cabbage leaves. Stack rolls in pressure cooker.
- Saute onion in 1 tbsp Crisco in 2-2.5 quart pan until clear.
- Add to fill with water from cooking cabbage. Add 2 tbsp vinegar. Bring to boil.
- Pour liquid and onion mixture over rolls.
- Cook 15 minutes and let cool down per cooker instructions.
- We only know the pressure cooker recipe. His grandmother cooked in large pot, but don't know how long.