Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
This is from the Taste of Home Casserole book.
Top Review by John W Wenzelburger
I did not rate the recipe because I changed it quite a bit. When I got to the part where you simmer the chicken for 20 min in a bare pan, I decided it needed something more. I put enough white wine in to cover the bottom of the pan 2 cloves of garlic chopped and about half a cup of sliced carrots. the Carrots gave the dish some color so you might at least do that. I also used boneless chicken breasts. Even with the extras I added the chicken was kind of bland. The Cabbage had a very good taste. I would drop the chicken and make just the cabbage as a side dish.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken, 3 to 4 pounds cut up
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 head cabbage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tart apples, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 teaspoons lemons, rind of, grated
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, heat butter over medium heat until melted. Sprinkle chicken with paprika and brown in butter on all sides; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile place cabbage in a greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Arrange apples and onions over cabbage and sprinkle with caraway, lemon peel, and sugar.
- Top with chicken; cover and bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear and cabbage is tender. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes more.