Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
simple little crescent cookies.
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast (one pkg.)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, seperated
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup powdered icing sugar
- Soften the yeast in warm water.
- Stir in the 1 tsp.
- Let stand in warm place until bubbly.
- This will take about four minutes.
- Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry blender.
- Stir in the yeast mixture and the egg yolks.
- Shape dough into a ball.
- Let rest about 30 minutes.
- Beat the egg white until stiff.
- Beat in the remaining sugar to make a thick meringue.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Set aside.
- Roll dough into a 16 inch circle and cut into 16 wedges.
- Spread meringue onto the dough.
- Roll each wedge from wide end to the tip.
- Place onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes, until golden.
- Make a glaze with the vanilla, powdered sugar and the tablespoon of milk.
- Frost each cookie.