Prep 40 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is a Christmas and Easter tradition in most Hungarian households. Make the dough the night before and leave in the fridge, this makes it easier to handle before baking. This recipe can be made upto 7 days ahead and kept in the fridge in an airtight container.
- To make the dough:.
- Put sugar, butter, egg yolks and sour cream or cream in a food processor and process well.
- Add flour and yeast and process again.
- Put in fridge overnight.
- Next day, take dough out about 1 and a half hours before baking to let thaw.
- To make filling:.
- Make a syrup by boiling the water and sugar.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Remove from heat and stir in sultanas.
- Allow to cool.
- To fill dough:.
- Dividide dough in three parts and roll out each part to about half a centimetre thick.
- Spread some filling on each part and roll up like a Swiss roll.
- Place in baking dish, brush with and egg yolk and put in a warm spot for one hour to rise.
- Brush with egg whites and put in the fridge for half an hour more, this makes the dough shiny when baked.
- Bake in a moderately hot (about 200 degrees celsius) oven for 35-40 minutes.