Recipe by Chandra M
I know, I know, crock pot recipes are supposed to be throw the stuff in, come back later it is done. Trust me though, the prep work in the beginning pays off big time. I serve this over hot buttered pappardelle (egg noodles). This is also good without the sour cream/flour mixture. Adapted from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook.
Top Review by ingvild
I was looking for a Stroganoff recipe that was not the "beef plus cream of mushroom soup" type, so I tried this. It was pretty good, but not great and didn't have the rich creamy flavor that I'm used to.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean stewing beef, cut in 1 . 5-inch chunks and patted dry
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut in half & then in 1/2-inch strips
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika, high quality
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon marjoram, dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed, crushed with a mortar & pestle
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & stuck on toothpicks
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a very large skillet, heat 1.5 tbsp oil.
- When very hot, add the beef and brown on all sides, 3-4 minutes total.
- Put the meat in the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining oil (1.5 tbsp), and when warmed add the onions and peppers.
- Brown slightly, stirring occasionally (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the mushrooms, and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the paprika.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Scrape the sides & bottom of the pan to release any browned on bits.
- Pour this mixture in the slow cooker.
- Add the tomato paste, marjoram, and caraway seeds to the cooker.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the garlic and submerge.
- Cover and cook on the low setting for 6-8 hours, I like to go closer to 8 hours to develop the flavors more.
- Prior to serving, remove and discard the garlic.
- Combine the flour and sour cream, then stir into the meat mixture.
- Serve over buttered noodles.