1 hr 45 mins
Stuffed peppers made the old fashioned way on top of the stove and enhanced with a rich sour cream gravy. Have loads of crusty bread ready to sop up the juice. Ground pork is optional, you can use all ground beef if you prefer. Mama wont mind if you mess around with her recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 medium green bell peppers
- 2 lbs lean ground chuck (BEEF)
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 1/2 cups catsup
- 3/4 pint sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1Prepare rice by rinsing under cold water for a few seconds.
- 2Put rice in small pot with water and bring to boil uncovered, at medium heat.
- 3When rice begins to boil, lower heat to medium low and place lid on pot tilted to allow steam to escape.
- 4Cover tightly when craters appear in rice, lower heat and simmer approx 15 minutes.
- 5Let sit for 5 minutes, fluff with fork and let cool.
- 6Prepare green peppers by slicing off tops approximately 1/4" down and remove seeds and membrane.
- 7Wash peppers and allow to drain upside down on paper towel.
- 8Prepare filling by placing ground meat in large bowl.
- 9Saute diced onions in vegetable oil in small saute pan until onion is transparent.
- 10Add to meat bowl.
- 11Add salt and pepper.
- 12Add 1/2 can tomato sauce (reserving remaining 1/2 can) Add rice to bowl and combine ingredients with hands until blended together.
- 13Add lightly beaten egg and continue to blend mixture.
- 14Loosly pack each pepper with meat mixture forming small dome on top.
- 15If you have extra filling, form into individual meat balls.
- 16In large stock pot, pour remaining 1/2 can tomato sauce and 1/2 can water, swishing around until blended.
- 17Place stuffed peppers into stockpot, along with extra meatballs (if you made any).
- 18Add 1 can tomato soup, 1/2 can water to pot.
- 19Add catsup to pot.
- 20Add remaining 3 cans tomato sauce, and add about 1/2 can of water to each can to clean up remaining sauce in can.
- 21Add this to pot also.
- 22Bring stockpot to boil, lower heat, cover with lid slightly tilted.
- 23Cook over low heat for about 1 hour.
- 24Blend flour into sour cream in bowl.
- 25Slowly blend in about 1/2 cup (or more) hot gravy from pot.
- 26Add sour cream mixture SLOWLY into pot, stirring constantly until gravy slightly thickens and becomes a deep orangy color, rather than the bright red color of tomatoes.
- 27Serve peppers in bowls, split open, and generously covered with gravy.
- 28Have crusty bread available for soaking up the rich gravy.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Beef & Pork Stuffed Bell Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (524 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1055.0
- Calories from Fat 563
- Total Fat 62.5 g
- Saturated Fat 25.9 g
- Cholesterol 217.8 mg
- Sodium 2502.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 29.7 g
- Protein 51.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lean ground chuck