Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a great dish with a spicy sweet flavor. Onions, Red Peppers, Orange Juice and Sour Cream are the ingredients that make it so robust. You can serve it over rice or noodles, and the degree of spiciness is up to you. I make it fairly mild, with the kids in mind, then have the hot sauce bottle handy for my husband and me.
- 1 lb beef tips or 1 lb stew meat, cut into cubes
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 yellow onions, sliced into strings
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups red peppers, cut into strips (approx. 4 small peppers)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (chili sauce, or tabasco)
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 1 pint sour cream
- Pat the beef dry, then salt and pepper before placing in the pot.
- Brown the meat on all sides for a few minutes in the pot with oil and butter.
- Transfer beef to a bowl.
- Add onions, garlic and more butter to pot. Sautee until tender, then transfer onion/garlic to a bowl.
- Add can of chopped tomatoes and mustard to pot, stirring and scraping all the bits off bottom of pot.
- Add in the onions and stir until combined with sauce, about 2 minutes.
- Empty the two cups of beef broth into pot, along with the Red Peppers. Stir until slightly softened.
- Add beef, and stir in hot sauce to taste. Remember the hot sauce gains strength as it cooks, so keep testing periodically to get the level heat you want, adding a little at a time.
- Add orange juice and stir over low heat for a few minutes, again testing the level of heat with the hot sauce. Leave uncovered while stirring.
- Once all is to a good boil, cover, reduce heat, and let simmer for one hour. You can even turn it off and let sit for a few hours, to have ready for a meal hours later.
- Now bring the pot to a boil, and add the sour cream. Sitr until blended. Sauce should have a rich orange color, and a creamy, not thick texture. If too thick, add more orange juice.
- Update the level "heat" with more hot sauce, if desired.
- Serve over white rice or thick egg noodles. Enjoy!