3 hrs 35 mins
1 hr 35 mins
I received this in the mail - the paper was old and so was the handwriting. There was no return address and no signature, so here it is to enjoy! I have made some adjustments & a few changes. We made it here and it was superb, it tasted just like my mom's. The timing is what may need adjusting, even though we made it - I honestly could not tell how long it took. I also added a few "modern methods" to the cooking and making of the spaetzle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds, toasted and ground
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 1/2 lbs beef shank or 2 1/2 lbs beef shoulder, cut into 2-inch cubes
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 roasted red peppers, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon of minced fresh thyme (optional)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon minced fresh marjoram (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, hand crushed
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth or 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 3/4 cup sour cream (add more if necessary)
- chopped flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- 2In a large heavy pot over medium heat add the bacon and fry for about 5 minutes until crisp and remove to paper towel and reserve.
- 3Sauté the onions and sugar until caramelized.
- 4Add the garlic and caraway seed.
- 5Cook for one minute.
- 6Add the sweet paprika, thyme(if using), marjoram(if using), and bay leaf.
- 7Sauté another minute, until fragrant.
- 8Add the tomatoes, red peppers, and 3 cups of broth.
- 9Bring to a boil and then simmer 10 minutes.
- 10Remove bay leaf.
- 11In a Dutch oven, add the oil and sauté the beef and brown evenly on all sides, turning with tongs; season generously with salt and pepper.
- 12While beef is searing, sprinkle the flour evenly in the pot and continue to stir to dissolve any clumps.
- 13Deglaze with vinegar and the remaining broth.
- 14Pour the contents of the other pan into Dutch oven and bring to a boil, then lower to simmer and cook about 1-1/2 hours until very tender, stirring occasionally.
- 15Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- 16Remove from heat and stir the sour cream into the goulash just before serving.
- 17Garnish with chopped parsley and broken pieces of crispy bacon.
- 18Serve with freshly made spaetzle.
- 20In a small bowl, beat together the egg yolks, egg and milk.
- 21In a medium bowl, combine the flour, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- 22Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix with hand until well blended.
- 23Do not overmix at this stage.
- 24Cover the bowl and refrigerate.
- 25Allow the batter to rest for at least 1 hours.
- 26Bring salted water to a boil.
- 27Place the batter on the end of a cutting board and cut small slices of batter into the water.
- 28Cook for 4-5 minutes, until done.
- 29Transfer cooked spaetzle to a bowl, with a strainer.
- 30OR (edited 02/26/06)Place a perforated hotel pan on on top of the pot. Place the batter on the pan and force it through the holes to form spaetzles. Cook 4-5 minutes. Transfer the spaetzle to a different bowl with a strainer.
- 31Over high heat, place a large sauté pan until it gets very hot.
- 32Add butter and the boiled spaetzle.
- 33Sauté until golden.
- 34Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 35Serve with the goulash all in one large platter(the spaetzle all round and the goulash in the middle) sprinkle with a generous amount of parsley, over the goulash as well as the spaetzle.
- 36Serve with warm loaf of bread so as to sop up all that yummy gravy.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Beef Goulash and Spaetzle
Serving Size: 1 (633 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 955.4
- Calories from Fat 445
- Total Fat 49.4 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 281.8 mg
- Sodium 650.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 61.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers