1/2 Photos of Hungarian Beef Goulash
2 hrs 40 mins
There are a lot of different recipes for Hungarian Beef Goulash, but this is our version -- we've made it many times over the years. I'm glad I can store the recipe here now -- my tattered old recipe card has seen better days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces beef broth
- 14 1/2 ounces stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 3 cups medium egg noodles, uncooked (about 6 ounces)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- sour cream
- 1Combine flour, sweet paprika, salt, hot paprika and black pepper in resealable plastic food storage bag. Add 1/2 of beef. Seal bag; shake to coat well. Repeat with remaining beef.
- 2Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add one-half of beef; brown on all sides. Transfer to large bowl. Repeat browning with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and remaining beef; transfer to same bowl.
- 3Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same Dutch oven; add onion and cook 8 minutes or until tender. Add minced garlic cloves and cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring often.
- 4Return beef and any juices to Dutch oven. Add broth, tomatoes with liquid, water and marjoram. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring once.
- 5When meat is tender, stir in noodles and bell pepper; cover. Simmer about 8 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring once. To serve, ladle into 8 soup bowls. Dollop with sour cream.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Beef Goulash
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 598.0
- Calories from Fat 346
- Total Fat 38.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 136.4 mg
- Sodium 1405.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 36.9 g