Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
These little dim sum treats are so delicious and very easy to prepare. They are great hot or at room temperature and can be served with a dipping sauce of hot chili sauce or salt seasoned with a little curry powder, five spice powder or crushed Szechuan peppercorns. They can be made ahead and reheated in the oven. Any white fleshed fish fillets can be used instead of the shrimp. The shrimp paste itself (without the bread cubes) can also be poached in water and served as dumplings in soup, or can be pan fried as little shrimp patties.
- Remove the crusts from the bread.
- Dice the bread into 1/4-inch cubes.
- Place on a cookie sheet and dry out in a very low oven (200F/90C).
- Pat the shrimp dry and mince in a food processor or blender.
- Blend in all the remaining ingredients except the oil.
- With wet hands, shape the shrimp paste into 1-inch balls and roll in the bread cubes.
- Press the cubes fimrly into the shrimp mixture.
- Heat the oil in a wok or deep, wide pot to 375 F.
- Cook the shrimp balls in batches until nicely browned and cooked through (this should only take 4 to 5 minutes).
- Drain on paper towels.
- Makes approx.
- 36 balls.
- Bonnie Stern Cookbook.