Recipe by Ms B.
I adopted this recipe after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site. I have not yet had a chance to sample this, but will add my own comments when I do.
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 4 shiitake mushrooms or 8 button mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb firm tofu, sliced into 1/4 x 1 inch strips (0.5x2.5cm)
- 1 cup napa cabbage, shredded (300g)
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas (70g)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin (Chinese cooking wine)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 -2 egg, well-beaten (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped (90g)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped (9g)
- 1⁄2 lb cooked chicken or 1⁄2 lb pork, cubed
- 1 teaspoon hot chili paste (optional) or 1 teaspoon chili sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring stock to a boil over medium-high heat in a 2 1/2- to 3-quart saucepan.
- Add garlic, ginger, black pepper, and tamari.
- Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, tofu, cabbage, carrots, peas and meat.
- Stir and let simmer 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in vinegar, mirin and cornstarch mixture.
- Continue cooking until soup is thickened, about 1 minute.
- Add chile paste/sauce to taste.
- Remove soup from heat.
- Slowly pour in beaten egg and stir.
- Garnish with green onions or cilantro and serve immediately.