Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
I adopted this recipe after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site. I have not yet had a chance to sample this, but will add my own comments when I do.
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 4 shiitake mushrooms or 8 button mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb firm tofu, sliced into 1/4 x 1 inch strips (0.5x2.5cm)
- 1 cup napa cabbage, shredded (300g)
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas (70g)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin (Chinese cooking wine)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 -2 egg, well-beaten (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped (90g)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped (9g)
- 1⁄2 lb cooked chicken or 1⁄2 lb pork, cubed
- 1 teaspoon hot chili paste (optional) or 1 teaspoon chili sauce (optional)
- Bring stock to a boil over medium-high heat in a 2 1/2- to 3-quart saucepan.
- Add garlic, ginger, black pepper, and tamari.
- Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, tofu, cabbage, carrots, peas and meat.
- Stir and let simmer 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in vinegar, mirin and cornstarch mixture.
- Continue cooking until soup is thickened, about 1 minute.
- Add chile paste/sauce to taste.
- Remove soup from heat.
- Slowly pour in beaten egg and stir.
- Garnish with green onions or cilantro and serve immediately.
This is a very good recipe. I made it ahead of time and put it in the crockpot on low to keep. That allowed me to concentrate on the other dishes when dinner came!
This is wonderful! I can't believe no one else has reviewed this yet, especially since it has Mean Chef's name in the title! This tasted very authentic, and was so easy and quick to put together. I can see this becoming a staple in our house. Thank you!