Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 1⁄4 lbs potatoes, carrots and rutabagas,peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 lb leek, cleaned and sliced
- 1 ounce plain flour
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- 15 fluid ounces milk
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- bacon, broiled,grilled or fried,to serve
- Place the potatoes, carrots and rutabagas in a pan of boiling water and cook for 7 minutes.
- Add the leeks and cook for a further 7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Place the flour, butter and milk in a saucepan, heat stirring continuously until the sauce thickens, boils and is smooth.
- Cook for a minute.
- Remove from the heat, season and stir in the cheese.
- Drain the vegetables and serve with the sauce and crisply cooked bacon.
Potatoes, carrots and rutabagas are a combo in which the whole is greater than the sum of its parts - a menage a trois made in heaven. Add leeks, cheese sauce and bacon, and how can you loose? Quibbles - could have used a little salt (I know Miller is on a salt reduced diet but I'm not.) I cooked twice as many potatoes, carrots and rutabagas as called for, which was a good thing. Two of us (hungry folks) still made serious inroads into '4 servings' but then it was the entire dinner, not a side dish. Other changes: I mashed the veg together lightly to mingle those great flavours, threw a few mushrooms in with the bacon, and made this on a Monday.