1/1 Photo of Hummus With Toasted Pine Nuts, Cumin Seeds and Parsley Oil
Galley Wench's Note:
Hummus is so common today it's almost become a little boring. Not this version! The starchiness of the chickpeas is counteracted by the sharpness of the parsley oil. Plus the bright green oil makes for an great presentation. Found this recipe in The Gourmet Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus 2-3 sprigs for garnish
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 (19 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup well-stirred tahini
- 2/3 cup water
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350º F; position rack in the middle of the oven.
- 2In a food processor or blender puree 1/4 cup parsley with 1/4 cup oil oil.
- 3Strain oil through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing hard on the solids;discard solids. Set aside.
- 4Toast pine nuts and cumin seeds in a small pan in the oven until golden brown (about 8 minutes); stir occasionally.
- 5Let cool.
- 6Combine 1/2 cup chickpeas with garlic in a food processor until garlic is finely minced.
- 7Add tahini, water, lemon juice, salt, remaining chick-peas, and remaining 1/2 cup olive oil and puree until smooth.
- 8Strip leaves from remaining parsley sprigs.
- 9Divide hummus between two shallow dishes and smooth tops.
- 10Drizzle with parsley oil and scatter parsley oil, pine nuts and cumins seeds over tops.
- 11Salt to taste and serve with pita toast.
- 13Hummus and parsley oil can be made up to 3 days in advance and refrigerated. Be sure to bring the oil to room temperature before using.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hummus With Toasted Pine Nuts, Cumin Seeds and Parsley Oil
Serving Size: 1 (1691 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 961.6
- Calories from Fat 605
- Total Fat 67.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1421.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.1 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 21.7 g