Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
I don't know how closely this resembles the hummus served in Turkey, but it is delicious! Printed in our local newspaper.
- 425.24 g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (*reserve* some of the liquid)
- 3-5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4.92 ml cumin seed, lightly toasted then crushed with pestle and mortar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 59.14 ml tahini
- fresh ground black pepper
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml pine nuts (NO substitution)
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- Toast the cumin seeds and crush lightly.
- In a food processor or blender combine all the garbanzo bean puree ingredients. Blend until smooth; tasting and adding more lemon juice to preference. If too thick to process effectively, add some of the reserved garbanzo bean liquid, about 1 tablespoon at a time. Adjust other seasonings, too if necessary.
- Transfer hummus to serving bowl or platter.
- In a small saute pan, heat up the olive oil and saute the pine nuts over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes or until golden; stirring constantly. Be careful not to burn!
- Sprinkle pine nuts with the cayenne, and cook an additional 1-2 minutes; stirring often.
- Garnish the hummous with the pine nut mixture including any olive oil left in the pan. Serve with pita bread to scoop up the dip.
Outstanding! This has incredible flavor. It "looks" like there will be way too many pine nuts, but it's not. Also, as a tip, if you want a superior texture in the hummus, pinch the skins off the chickpeas- they come off easily. It doesn't take that much longer to prep and it is definitely worth it. Thanks for sharing-
This was an excellent hummus recipe and I will definitely be making it again! DH and I ate it both as a snack before lunch and as a spread for falafels. I used about 4-5 Tb of the reserved chickpea water to get it to the consistency we liked. This had great flavor. DH burned some of the pine nuts as he became distracted by our cats in the process of toasting them, so pictured is not the amount we actually used. Thanks for a great recipe. Made for Sun and Spice 2013
This was delicious. I loved the pine nuts on top. This also had a nice bit of spice to it as well. Made for ZWT6.