Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
from Saveur Magazine April 2006
For the hummus
- 1 2⁄3 cups dried garbanzo beans (or 4 cups canned chickpeas)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup tahini
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
For the beef
- 1⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- Soak chickpeas overnight. Drain, cover with water and boil until tender (about an hour) Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid, drain chickpeas and set aside to cool.
- Peel the cooled chickpeas, and puree with the reserved cooking liquid.
- Place garlic clove and a pinch of salt in a mortar and crush into a paste. Add garlic paste, tahini, lemon juice, and salt to pureed chickpeas.
- Transfer hummus to a shallow bowl, and press a well into the center with a spoon. Set aside.
- Cook beef in a skillet with the spices over medium heat until browned. Drain grease, and spoon into the well in the hummus.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and garnish with parsley and paprika.
- Serve with olives and pita bread.