1/1 Photo of Hummus... Smooth & Creamy
chef FIFI's Note:
Forget those tubs in the supermarket, they never taste like the real thing. I always use Ziyad brand products for a more authentic middle eastern taste.The addition of the "tetbeleh" is how it is mainly made in the Jordan. In the mid east people enjoy this as a breakfast side, typically someone makes a run to the nearby falafel restaurant and brings back falafel, hommus and foul(fave beans) and serve with a side of green olives, white cheese and tea using our pita bread as our spoons, and there you have a middle eastern breakfast. In the U.S. it is served as a side dish for the most part, but in the middle east it is more a breakfast dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 13 ounces garbanzo beans
- 3 small garlic cloves
- 5 tablespoons tahini
- 4 tablespoons yogurt (middle eastern)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice or 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1Place the beans and garlic cloves in a saucepot and bring to a boil.Save broth for reserve.
- 2Place only the beans and garlic in food processor.
- 3Run the processor to grind up the beans.
- 4Add olive oil, tahini, yogurt, lemon juice, salt and 3/4 cup reserved broth from beans.
- 5You will need to let it blend in the food processor for about 10 minutes to get creamy.
- 6Afterwards if you want it a bit looser add a tiny bit of broth and stir well.
- 7Meanwhile combine garlic, hot pepper and salt in a mortar pestle and smash until mush.
- 8Add lemon juice to the garlic/jalapeño condiment and stir well.
- 9Spread out hummus on a plate, place a few tablespoons of the tetbeleh in the middle.
- 10Place in the refrigerator for about an hour or so.
- 11Decorate with paprika.
- 12Drizzle with olive oil.
- 13Serve with pita wedges.
- 14Hummus will last for 2 days in the fridge.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hummus... Smooth & Creamy
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.3
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.9 mg
- Sodium 879.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 8.7 g