Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Hi, this recipe is under-construction while I refine it to try to make it light without losing any of the wonderful flavor. I love hummus so much, but i can't afford all the fat. I make my hummus a bit drier and lumpier for texture, because i love to spread it on my pita bread. If i wish to make it thiner for scooping it out of the bowl w/ a piece of pita, then I thin it w/ some chickpea broth.
- 2 1⁄4 cups dried garbanzo beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup tahini sauce
- 2 small garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- garbanzo beans, broth reserved
- SOAK dry garbanzo beans over night, about 8-12 hrs (not counted in the prep time) *using canned garbanzo beans is ok, just has that tin can tangy taste.
- DRAIN water and place garbanzo beans in a pot w/ 4 cups of water & 1 tsp baking soda. BRING to boil, then simmer until beans are either 3/4 to fully cooked depending on the texture you are looking for. (time depends on the dry beans).
- Remove beans from pot and reserve the garbanzo beans broth. You can, set aside 1/2c of the beans if you want a chunkier hummus to stir in at the end.
- PLACE garbanzo beans in food processor and about 1/2-1 c reserved broth. PULSE until the beans are chopped up.
- Now ADD the garlic, salt & tahini to the processor & BLEND on high until combined and a bit smoother. Scrape sides if needed.
- ADD the lemon juice and the olive oil & PROCESS on high until smooth. (taste and add more lemon juice, garlic, tahini or olive oil to attain your desired taste)
- Scrape the sides and add more reserved garbanzo beans broth to thin it if you desire. The broth is the lighter choice, however for a really yummy hummus, of course you would add more olive oil and a bit more tahini :-).
- If you saved the 1/2c garbanzo beans, then go ahead and stir them in or if in a hurry pulse the blade a couple of times.
- Place hummus in small shallow bowls and drizzle w/ olive oil (about 2 tsp). Remember this additional olive oil isn't in the calorie info.