Prep 8 hrs
Cook 10 mins
This is the BEST hummus / humus recipe I've ever made. It tastes just like the hummus that is served at Middle Eastern restaurants and has had all my friends raving. I've tried lots of hummus recipes in my quest for the best and I believe this is the one. It was given to my by a work colleague who said she's always inundated for the recipe after people have tried it. One important note - don't substitute canned for dried chickpeas- it won't work! I did this the first time I made it and it was too salty. It's a little bit of extra effort/preparation - but using dried chickpeas guarantees the right combination of flavours. The amounts below make large serving of the dip - you can easily halve or quarter the amounts and still get a delicious result.
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans (garbanzos)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for serving
- 1 pinch sweet paprika, for serving
- Soak the garbanzos (chickpeas) in water for 6 hours. there should be enough water to more than cover the chickpeas and allow them to expand.
- Drain the chickpeas and put in a large saucepan with 2 litres of fresh water.
- Simmer for 1 1/4 hours - or until the chickpeas are very tender.
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving about 1 cup of the liquid. Allow the chickpeas to cool (I often run them under cold water).
- Put the chickpeas in a food processor with all remaining ingredients - except the reserved liquid and the extra oil and paprika.
- Process until smooth and creamy looking, adding some of the reserved liquid until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve drizzed with olive oil and paprika.
I love this recipe, but use a little less lemon juice.
Outstanding recipe!!, Had to search for dried garbanzos. Found from Palouse Farms out of WA from Amazon. As a short cut I use the pressure cooker w' 1 cup beans to 3 cups water for 1 hour.<br/>Also ordered tahini from Amazon. to me it tastes like peanut butter, I would have no hesitation in substituting it in the recipe.
I'm on a hummus diet. I can just see it now. I'm going to lose so much weight