Recipe by ervigile
Sometimes I make a roasted red-pepper version, wherein I add about a half a can of roasted red peppers and cut back on the lemon juice.
Top Review by mama smurf
Made this for Fall PAC 2011 and it turned out to be very good. I cut the recipe in half, used about 3 Tbls. of lemon juice instead of 4 Tbls. and added about 1 Tbls. of water and oil to make it a little more to our desired consistency. Sooo creamy and tasty. Thank you. Served with home made toasted pita chips.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas
- 1⁄2 cup tahini (not peanut butter, ew)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain chick peas, rinse in strainer.
- Combine chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic in a food processor or blender and blend well.
- Add cumin, oregano, pepper, and salt. Blend well.
- Add water or olive oil in small increments until desired consistency is reached. It will set upon refrigeration, so make it slightly runnier than you ultimately want it.
- Fold in fresh parsley with spatula.
- Scrape into bowl and refrigerate for at least a few hours.