1/4 Photos of Hummus from Dried Chickpeas
When I was on WIC I had dried chickpeas rather than canned so I had to adapt the hummus recipe. This basic recipe can be varied by adding black olives, roasted garlic, red peppers, or other ingredients -- just look at the packaged hummus in the deli for inspiration. You can even substitute peanut butter for the more expensive, and sometimes difficult to find, tahini for a budget-friendly variation with a different flavor that some people prefer. It makes a big batch that can be frozen in handy quanities. Best made the day before, but I can never keep my family out of it that long.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring chickpeas to boiling then simmer about 1/2 hour until tender.
- 2Drain chickpeas, reserving liquid. Let stand until cool enough to handle. (Using warm to hot chickpeas makes it possible to process a softer texture that will then stiffen to a nice, spreadable paste).
- 3Process in blender or food processor in 2-3 batches according to the size/capability of your equipment. Use enough of the chickpea cooking liquid to get a texture like soft peanut butter.
- 4Mix the batches together in a large bowl.
- 5Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. (If you need more garlic return a half batch to the blender, process it smooth, and stir back into the rest).
- 6Pack in freezer containers of an appropriate size for your household.
- 7Tip -- This makes a nice hostess gift when attractively packaged.
- 8Tip -- Tahini often separates in the can or jar. Rather than trying to mix it in the can then measure it just put the whole can/jar into the blender, whip it up, and pour back the excess.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hummus from Dried Chickpeas
Serving Size: 1 (1023 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2021.1
- Calories from Fat 1130
- Total Fat 125.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3635.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 178.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 51.1 g
- Sugars 26.6 g
- Protein 66.0 g