Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe originally came from a famous German chef called Tim Mälzer and was published in his monthly recipe magazine. I made a few changes to adapt this to my liking and it made a fabulous, satisfying lunch sammie. Packed with nutrition and taste! I hope youll enjoy! :)
- 250 g chickpeas (canned is fine)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (use more if youre a fan of cumin like me)
- 3⁄4 tablespoon oil
- 8 -10 tablespoons water (or use chickpea juice from the can)
- 2 roasted red peppers, sliced (may use those from a jar)
- 60 g feta cheese, crumbled (low fat is fine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 slices whole wheat bread (I baked and used this Yeast Free Wholemeal Bread)
- To make the hummus place chickpeas, garlic, cumin, oil and water (start with 8 tbs) in a bowl and blend using a hand held blender or alternatively put everything into your blender and pulse until combined. Add enough water to get it to a smooth spreadable consistency.
- Spread this on all 8 slices of bread.
- On 4 of the slices, put roasted red pepper slices on top of the hummus layer.
- Mix feta cheese with rosemary, dill and chili flakes. Press it on top of the red pepper layer. This might become a little messy.
- Now top with the remaining bread slice to make a yummy lunch sammie.
Delicious sandwich! I used Yeast Free Wholemeal Bread for the bread as mentioned in the ingredient list, fresh rosemary and omitted the dill. I also used jarred roasted peppers. I think that next time I'd use my own roasted peppers or perhaps incorporate the red pepper into the hummus as I didn't care for the texture although the taste was very good. I love the cumin flavored hummus. Made for PRMR Tag.
Just my kind of sandwich! Delicious and easy. I used oregano instead of rosemary, because I was out of dried. My favorite ingredients, so I will make this often. Thanks for sharing the recipe.