Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
A friend of ours Sam makes this dip, she loves fava beans.
Make and share this Hummus, Fava Bean Style recipe from Food.com.
- Shell about three pounds of fava beans.
- This should leave you with a couple of cups of actual beans.
- Boil them for about twenty minutes in water and then rapidly cool with cold water.
- Peel all the larger ones (anything bigger than about 1/2 inch in the longest dimension) by squeezing one end hard and popping the bean out of the skin.
- Smaller ones can be left whole.
- Puree in a blender with a head of green garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and sesame tahini.
- Add salt to taste and serve with bread or crudites.
Once corrected the recipe came out fine. Using the guide line of "a couple cups of actual peeled cooked beans" did not measure up to using an entire head of garlic. Waaaaay too much garlic. I used 3 cups of cooked beans, 1 large clove of garlic, 1/4 cup each of tahini, olive oil and 1/8 of a cup of lemon juice. Pureed in a cuisinart and then added salt and pepper to taste. It goes wonderfully on crostini or even as a sandwich spread.