Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Use to dip vegetables or pita. Prep time does not include soaking the chickpeas. Consider garnish of mint.
- 3⁄4 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2⁄3 cup tahini paste
- extra olive oil
- cayenne (to garnish)
- flat leaf parsley (to garnish)
- Place the dry chickpeas in a bowl with cold water and soak overnight. Drain the chickpeas and cover with fresh water in a saucepan. Boil rapidly for 10 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour until soft. Drain.
- Remove 3-4 whole, cooked chickpeas and reserve them for garnish.
- Process the remaining chickpeas in a food processor to a smooth puree. Add the lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, cayenne and tahini. Blend well.
- Season the puree with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with 3-4 whole cooked chickpeas, a sprinkling of cayenne and a few sprigs parsley.