Recipe by COOKGIRl
Adapted from a recipe in the cookbook 'Flavors of Belize'. Belize has a small Arab/Lebanese population and it has contributed to and influenced Belize's melting pot cuisine. Black beans or garbanzo beans can replace the kidney beans if desired. Note: the food.com site does not recognize the ingredient 'recado rojo'. You will need a half teaspoon of it for this recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups freshly cooked light red kidney beans (save some of the cooking liquid)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coconut oil (or a little more just enough for a hint of coconut)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- fresh cilantro (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: read the recipe introduction first before you start to prep the hummus.
- Place the beans, 2 tablespoons bean cooking liquid, tahini, lime juice, recado rojo, garlic, salt, coconut oil and about 1/4 cup bean cooking liquid in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth. Add more bean liquid if necessary and to desired consistency.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil. Can garnish with cilantro, too if desired.