Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
When it's much too hot to cook, don't. Chill out with a no-cook meal, and spend more time at the pool .... Not in the kitchen! Hummus is so much more than a dip for pita bread .... It makes a quick and tasty sandwich or wrap filler too. Don't save this sandwich just for the warm days of summer, the cool crispness makes it perfect anytime of the year!
- hummus (Ready-made from your favorite market's deli department)
- fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper
- italian vinaigrette
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and sliced
- 1 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced thin and separated into rings
- 1⁄2 English cucumber, peeled and sliced thin
- banana pepper, seeded and chopped (to taste)
- 4 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- bean sprouts
- Before preparing the sandwich, taste the hummus and if it needs some spark give it a squeeze of lemon juice and some freshly ground pepper.
- Add the Kalamatas, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and banana peppers to enough vinaigrette to coat the veggies. Set aside.
- Spread 2 slices of whole grain sandwich bread liberally with hummus; sprinkle with the feta cheese. Top with the veggies mixture and a generous mound of sprouts.
- Pour on additional vinaigrette to taste, and press the remaining slice of bread on top of sandwich; cut in half.