Recipe by livie
A perfect traditional recipe for authentic hummus. I learned how to make this while living in the middle east. Everyone always asks for the recipe.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chickpeas (reserve liquid) or 2 (16 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained (reserve liquid)
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1⁄2 cup tahini paste (also known as sesame paste)
- 1 pinch salt (1/4 - 1/2 tsp.)
- ground paprika, for garnish
- olive oil, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 1/2 cup reserved bean liquid in blender or food processor container.
- Add beans, garlic and lemon juice; start blender.
- Add reserved juice a little at a time till mixture runs smooth through blender but still has a thick consistency (all together about 1/4-1/2 cup reserved juice).
- Add tahini paste and salt; blend 3-4 minutes till nice and smooth.
- Place hummus into a large serving bowl.
- Cover and chill 2-3 hours in the refrigerator or till nicely chilled.
- When ready to serve, drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- Serve with pita bread.