Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Modified from Alison & Simon Holsts Vegetarian cookbook.
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 3 lemons, juice of (or 90 ml white vinegar)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Soak chickpeas overnight.
- Cook chickpeas for approx 1 hour.
- Drain chickpeas. Keep a cup of stock.
- Add remaining ingredients and puree. (Add about 1/2 cup stock so it is not too dry).
I love this recipe. I have made it several times now and find it to be some of the best hummus I have ever had. I get requests to take this stuff to parties, it's so good. I use less lemon juice than called for, but it's just a taste preference. I've fixed it both ways with no complaints. Thank you for posting this.