This is my little hummingbird friend's favorite nectar. I know some people don't add the coloring, but my little hummer refuses to drink unless it is red. If you have a less picky humminbird then you don't need to bother with the coloring. I have heard conflicting informations from "experts" regarding the use of food color. If your hummingbird doesn't object...leave it out...mine does object and hasn't had problems so I use it. Luckily I live in Florida and can enjoy seeing hummingbirds all year long! :o)
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 3 -5 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Allow sugar to dissolve and remove from heat.
- Let the nectar cool and then pour into your feeder.
- Store remaining nectar in the refrigerator.