Recipe by dale!
The addition of pineapple makes this "hummingbird". This is the best carrot cake recipe I've found, totally addictive. The cream cheese icing is a must.
Top Review by MizzNezz
Very Yummy cake!! I love the pineapple in this. The coconut was a nice touch too, it makes you think "tropical". It was very moist, lots of flavor, I made it just as directed, didn't change a thing, but I baked it in 13x9 pan for about 45 minutes. Thanks for a great recipe, dale!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup light olive oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 3 grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 3⁄4 cup canned crushed pineapple
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 125 g cream cheese
- 45 g butter
- icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl with the sugar, bicarb soda and cinnamon.
- Make a well in the centre and add the oil, eggs and vanilla, beating well.
- Fold in carrots, walnuts, coconut and pineapple.
- Pour into a greased 23cm springform pan.
- Bake for about 70 minutes.
- Cool cake completely before adding the icing.
- ICING: Have the cream cheese at room temperature and mix it with the butter.
- Beat in enough sifted icing sugar to sweeten to taste and stir in the vanilla and lemon juice (you can add more or less depending on taste and icing consistency).