Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
The addition of pineapple makes this "hummingbird". This is the best carrot cake recipe I've found, totally addictive. The cream cheese icing is a must.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup light olive oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 3 grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 3⁄4 cup canned crushed pineapple
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 125 g cream cheese
- 45 g butter
- icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl with the sugar, bicarb soda and cinnamon.
- Make a well in the centre and add the oil, eggs and vanilla, beating well.
- Fold in carrots, walnuts, coconut and pineapple.
- Pour into a greased 23cm springform pan.
- Bake for about 70 minutes.
- Cool cake completely before adding the icing.
- ICING: Have the cream cheese at room temperature and mix it with the butter.
- Beat in enough sifted icing sugar to sweeten to taste and stir in the vanilla and lemon juice (you can add more or less depending on taste and icing consistency).
Very Yummy cake!! I love the pineapple in this. The coconut was a nice touch too, it makes you think "tropical". It was very moist, lots of flavor, I made it just as directed, didn't change a thing, but I baked it in 13x9 pan for about 45 minutes. Thanks for a great recipe, dale!
three words for this..... Divine, Divine,D ivine!!! I also baked this in a ceramic baking dish for about 50 minutes.Icing was perfect!Keeping this recipe for ever.
i have never made a carrot cake before, and this turned out beautifully! I used a 13 X 9 glass dish and it was done in 35 minutes. thanks!