Recipe by Celeste :)
This is a "makeover" recipe, making it healthier than a traditional recipe. So be sure to use all of the "light" ingredients as listed to ensure that it is healthier.
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups unbleached flour or 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sliced bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) cancrushed juice-packed pineapple
- 3⁄4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325^F. Generously coat a Bundt pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat the eggs and egg whites for 1 minute, or until foamy. Beat in the applesauce and vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add half of the flour mixture to the egg white mixture and beat on medium speed until combined. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat for 1 minute. Stir in the bananas and pecans.
- Drain the pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons of the juice for making the glaze. Stir the pineapple into the batter. Scrape into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Loosen the edges of the cake by gently inserting a thin rubber spatula or knife around the sides and center. Invert the cake onto the rack and cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and the reserved 2 tablespoons pineapple juice. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake.