Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this in Saveur Magazine a long time ago and searched high and low after I misplaced my copy. I have tried several other recipes and none was quite as good as this! Thank God for Google !!!!! Found again and will make sure I keep it this time!
FOR THE CAKE
- 3 teaspoons butter, softened
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 6 ripe bananas, peeled and coarsely mashed
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
FOR THE FROSTING
- 14 ounces cream cheese
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1. For the cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Grease each of three 9″ round cake pans with 1 teaspoons of the butter, dust each with 1 tablespoons of the flour, tapping out excess, and set aside.
- 2. Combine the remaining 3 cups flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Add oil and eggs and mix well. Add bananas, pineapple, coconut, pecans, cinnamon, and vanilla, almond, and coconut extracts, and mix well. Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake until toothpick inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, 25–30 minutes. Set aside to cool briefly, remove cakes from pans, then set aside to cool completely.
- 2. For the frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla, almond, and coconut extracts in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth, then reduce speed to medium-low and gradually beat in sugar.
- 3. Assemble and frost cake, spreading 1 1⁄2 cups of the frosting evenly between the three layers of cake and use the remainder to frost top and side of cake completely.