Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Paula Deen Celebrates!
FOR THE CAKE
- 709.77 ml self-rising flour
- 473.18 ml granulated sugar
- 177.44 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml finely chopped pecans
- 2 very ripe large bananas, mashed
- 226.79 g can crushed pineapple, with juice
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs, beaten
FOR THE ICING
- 453.59 g box confectioners' sugar
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 88.74 ml butter, softened
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 14.79 ml milk (or more)
- 118.29 ml finely chopped pecans (for garnish)
- TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 (8-inch) round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, oil, pecans, bananas, pineapple, vanilla, cinnamon and eggs. Stir well with a spoon until the batter is smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 26 to 28 minutes, until the tops spring back. Cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then loosen from the pans and invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- TO MAKE THE ICING:
- Mix the sugar, cream cheese, butter, vanilla and 1 Tbs milk in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until the icing is smooth. If needed, add more milk, 1 tsp at a time, to achieve the proper spreading consistency.
- Ice between the cake layers, and on the sides and top of the cake. Sprinkle the top with the pecans. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
UNFORTUNATELY...This IS Paula Deens recipe! She published it in a calendar a few years ago....IT'S AFUL. Very dry. The real recipe starts out..."cream butter and suagar until creamy......." dead give away.
This is not Paula Deens recipe! The lack of butter tipped me off so I looked it up on her website http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/hummingbird_cake/. It is sooooooo good. And super moist even after being in the fridge.
I have always adored Paula's recipes unfortunately not this one. I followed it to the Tea and it came out dry. I have made other hummingbird cakes and will go back to another this one just didn't do it for us. I was disappointed :(