Recipe by Punky Julster
From Paula Deen Celebrates!
Top Review by neveah_tnes23
This is not Paula Deens recipe! The lack of butter tipped me off so I looked it up on her website http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/hummingbird_cake/. It is sooooooo good. And super moist even after being in the fridge.
FOR THE CAKE
- 709.77 ml self-rising flour
- 473.18 ml granulated sugar
- 177.44 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml finely chopped pecans
- 2 very ripe large bananas, mashed
- 226.79 g can crushed pineapple, with juice
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs, beaten
FOR THE ICING
- 453.59 g box confectioners' sugar
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 88.74 ml butter, softened
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 14.79 ml milk (or more)
- 118.29 ml finely chopped pecans (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 (8-inch) round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, oil, pecans, bananas, pineapple, vanilla, cinnamon and eggs. Stir well with a spoon until the batter is smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 26 to 28 minutes, until the tops spring back. Cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then loosen from the pans and invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- TO MAKE THE ICING:
- Mix the sugar, cream cheese, butter, vanilla and 1 Tbs milk in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until the icing is smooth. If needed, add more milk, 1 tsp at a time, to achieve the proper spreading consistency.
- Ice between the cake layers, and on the sides and top of the cake. Sprinkle the top with the pecans. Refrigerate until ready to serve.