Cake Bites: Sized for two delicious bites, these little cakes are perfect for parties and socials. Great-Aunt Thelma’s Hummingbird Cake, with its moist, dense texture, is perfect! From dallasnews.com's Recipe of the Day -- By Kitchen Scoop/Alicia Ross -- Published: 01 June 2012. -------- NOTE: 30 minute prep time includes cooling time after cupcakes are baked; 20 minute cook time is for one batch/pan of cupcakes! If using two pans, total cook time for 48 cupcakes (two batches) is 40 minutes!
My Private Note
mini cu ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple (with juice)
- 1/2 cup pecans (toasted and finely chopped)
- 1 cup banana (very ripe and mashed)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Line mini-muffin tins with 48 paper liners; set aside.
- 2Toast pecans in a medium-heat iron skillet, on the stove top, stirring constantly, until fragrant. Set aside.
- 3In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir in eggs, oil and vanilla just until dry ingredients are moistened; do not beat. Fold in the pineapple (and juice), pecans and banana.
- 4Gently spoon batter into the cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Do not overfill. You will have just enough batter for all 48 cups.
- 5Bake 20 minutes; if using two pans at once, rotating the top and lower pans at the 10-minute mark for even baking. (If you have a convection oven, this is not necessary.) Bake in two batches if you have only one pan!
- 6Cake bites are done when they are dark golden brown and gently crowned on top. Remove from oven and cool at least 20 minutes before frosting.
- 7Swirl a small amount of icing over each cake bite in a decorative fashion. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve. (Wooden picks can be inserted in a few of the bites to keep plastic wrap from smearing the tops.).
- 8Makes 48 cake bites.
- 9Cream Cheese Frosting Directions:.
- 10In a small mixer bowl combine 4 ounces softened cream cheese, 4 tablespoons softened unsalted butter, 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract ~ beat with mixer until smooth.
- 11Place in a zipper-top plastic bag with one corner snipped (or use a cake decorating bag).
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hummingbird Cake Bites
Serving Size: 1 (1227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.1
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 12.0 mg
- Sodium 56.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 1.0 g