Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Cake Bites: Sized for two delicious bites, these little cakes are perfect for parties and socials. Great-Aunt Thelma’s Hummingbird Cake, with its moist, dense texture, is perfect! From dallasnews.com's Recipe of the Day -- By Kitchen Scoop/Alicia Ross -- Published: 01 June 2012. -------- NOTE: 30 minute prep time includes cooling time after cupcakes are baked; 20 minute cook time is for one batch/pan of cupcakes! If using two pans, total cook time for 48 cupcakes (two batches) is 40 minutes!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple (with juice)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans (toasted and finely chopped)
- 1 cup banana (very ripe and mashed)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese (softened, Neufchatel preferred)
- 4 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line mini-muffin tins with 48 paper liners; set aside.
- Toast pecans in a medium-heat iron skillet, on the stove top, stirring constantly, until fragrant. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir in eggs, oil and vanilla just until dry ingredients are moistened; do not beat. Fold in the pineapple (and juice), pecans and banana.
- Gently spoon batter into the cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Do not overfill. You will have just enough batter for all 48 cups.
- Bake 20 minutes; if using two pans at once, rotating the top and lower pans at the 10-minute mark for even baking. (If you have a convection oven, this is not necessary.) Bake in two batches if you have only one pan!
- Cake bites are done when they are dark golden brown and gently crowned on top. Remove from oven and cool at least 20 minutes before frosting.
- Swirl a small amount of icing over each cake bite in a decorative fashion. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve. (Wooden picks can be inserted in a few of the bites to keep plastic wrap from smearing the tops.).
- Makes 48 cake bites.
- Cream Cheese Frosting Directions:.
- In a small mixer bowl combine 4 ounces softened cream cheese, 4 tablespoons softened unsalted butter, 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract ~ beat with mixer until smooth.
- Place in a zipper-top plastic bag with one corner snipped (or use a cake decorating bag).